Mieji-juku

[ Walking guide ]

Mieji-juku

Mieji-juku flourished, facing “Goudo ferryboat” at Nagara River and “Roku ferryboat” at Ibi River. Unfortunately there is only one house left in this post station because of destruction due to the Noubi Earthquake in 1891. After that, the honjin ruin was built. There are also “Mie-ji Temple Kanzeon”, from which the name of the area originates, and “Ichiri Zuka ruin monument.”
◆From Mieji-juku to Akasaka-juku
In this portion of the course, the Nakasendo passes in a westward direction to Mt. Ibuki. You will proceed into the solemn “Ibuki-oroshi.” The flow of Ibi River used to be west of Roku village, but it changed to the current flow due to river improvement in the Taisho Era and Roku village became located on the opposite side of Ibi River. In Roku is “Ozu Koen” related to Imperial Princess Kazunomiya. Yanagihara-no-Ichiri Zuka used to be located near Shinmei-gu Shrine on the opposite side of Hiranoi River, which was unusually far from the Nakasendo. The Nakasendo takes a winding route around the border between Godo-Town and Ogaki City, and gives us feel for the atmosphere of ancient times although there are very few remains left.

page top